Thursday, October 21, 2010

Treading Water...

It's been almost a month since I posted because I've been drowning (not literally of course).  I don't know what it is, but I'm overwhelmed right now, and feeling a little paralyzed by everything in my life.  My house, my kids, my job....I feel like nothing is getting my full attention these days.

Thanks goodness for Sandra and my mom who listen to my complaints without judgment.

Today was a good day.  The kids and I got out this morning to St. Elizabeth's which has a Parenting and Literacy Centre.  We go to this catholic school in the mornings sometimes because it has a playgroup that runs from 8-12, Mon-Fri during the school year (closed during holidays and OCCSB P.A. days).  There are a few things that make it a wonderful program:

1.  You can bring kids aged 0-6 which means I can bring Owen (he's getting older now and not always welcome at other playgroups).
2.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays there is a 20 minute gym time which totally wears my kids out.
3.  They provide a healthy snack.
4.  Alice, the lady who runs this particular program, is a saint!  She knows EVERYTHING about ANYTHING child related.  She knows about different activities/playgroups in the area.  She gives out monthly newsletters with all kinds of ideas of things to do or make with the kids.  PLUS...she always gives me a hand with my three munchkins and they love her!
5.  It's FREE!!

I'm actually kind of reluctant to talk about it because I love it so much and don't want too many people showing up suddenly (not that more than a handful of people read this blog).  Alice and the school, however, have preserved my sanity on more than one occasion and I feel I owe it to those other moms out there who need OUT!

There are a bunch of Parenting and Family Literacy Centres in Ottawa.  Check out the website to find one near you :)

1 comment:

  1. As the principal of St. Elizabeth Catholic School, I have to say that the PFLC that we host is an exceptional program. Alice is an incredible woman who helps us out when we need support and is always there with her expertise when we have questions about some of our youngest bunnies. We are so happy to have the PFLC at our school - it is truly a strong building block to our community. I try to get to the PFLC at least once a week to get my fill of the extra-little ones. Thank you for your post and be sure to stop by the office to say "hello" during your next visit!
    Thank you
    Jennifer Grant
    Principal
    St. Elizabeth Catholic School

    ReplyDelete