Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I camp.

I camp.  I don't feel I have the right to call myself a "camper" just yet...maybe never.  I didn't grow up camping.  We were more of a cottaging family.  But I knew when I married my husband that I would someday get roped into it.  Let me tell you...I resisted as long as I could!  The truth is...I really like it and I wish I'd done it sooner!  (No I-told-you-so's please Glenda) 

This summer, we've made a few forays into the wilderness.  OK...that's a stretch...I'm a very pampered camper.  We have a two room tent, a queen-sized blow-up mattress, etc., etc.  But still...this is more than I thought I'd be able to do with three young children.  Money (or lack of) has definitely been a deciding factor in our accommodation choices.

Our first "outing" was a one night affair to ease me in.  I will NEVER do that again.  It's too much work doing all the set up and take down for what turns into, essentially, a few hours of actual fun-time.  I almost gave up on the notion of camping after that one.  Luckily we stuck with it and headed out east for some adventures.  We camped in the Bay of Fundy (SO much fun!), and PEI (SO buggy!).  It was fun, but I think this past weekend was the most fun so far.  It probably had a little to do with the company and the extra hands and eyes they brought with them to keep the kiddos in line.

We went up to Murphy's Point with Sandra and Eric and their clan (Fred - 4, and Annabelle - 1 1/2) and Ryan. Tristan and Mikaela joined us on Saturday night.  It was lovely for the kids to have friends there, and even more wonderful for Dave and I to have our friends there.  Hiking, swimming, campfire cooking, and dirty little boys (and one girl) dominated the weekend. 

I think that was our last trip for the year, but I can't wait to do it all over again next year!

Our campsite.  Notice that massive orange tent.  That's ours.  Ryan's is hiding behind it...

Owen hiking with his buddy Fred.
More hiking...
Felix in a hole.
Emmett loving the water!
Kids at the beach.
Felix is not too sure what to do with his new little friend.  I think the frog is experiencing some serious shock at this point.
Loving...Annabelle style :P
Goodbye until next year camping....

No comments:

Post a Comment